Thursday, February 21, 2013

Butter basted Teriyaki Treasure Burger






Butter Basted Goodness

Oh My!

That is all that I used to be able to say.  My poppa, the man that I call the Alkhemist, was a man that could really do beauty in the kitch.  He helped me develop whimsy and flair in my culinary creations.  I have always loved watching my father create in the kitchen.  He was so at ease there.  He used to be focused and quiet he might have been listening to jazz or humming or singing.  He moved with the confidence of a professional I also gained that from him.

One of the favorite treats that my father would make er once in a great while was a great burger.  You have to feel me on this, he would grind the steak himself in a hand cranked grinder that screwed to the edge of the table.  He would taste a lil of the meat raw and then sear it in a hot cast iron skillet.  I remember the flavors of pepper, Worcestershire sauce and freshness.  Pops loved to mix the unexpected for bursts of flavor, raisin bread as a bun was one of his signatures.

Once in a great while I enjoy a tasty burger myself.  Having been steeped in this tradition of burger greatness, I take a certain pleasure in making something that is tantalizing and delicious in every way.  I love taking my time and attending to each detail that springs to mind and that is precisely what I did with this beauty.

This is a veggie burger that has the richness and juiciness of a real one.  In my longing one day it was both created and perfected.  I think I would have to show you vs. telling you how to make it, but imma do my best.  It took 3 small cast iron skillets to get what you see in this picture, and I promise you I wish I could give you the feeling that I had when I bit into it.  If you are REALLY interested in this burger you might have to call me to make sure that I include all the nuances of how to prepare this treat.

Ok so here is the deal, this will make one burger. 
Large size Morning Star Griller
2 T butter
2 T Teriyaki Sauce
1 t Worcestershire Sauce
1 slice of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 Large Egg
Coarse Black Pepper
3 T grated parmesan Cheese


condiments:
Mayonnaise
Ketchup
Mustard
Sweet Relish
Banana Pepper Rings

The 3 skillets are for: 1.  toasting the bun, 2.  frying the egg and 3.  cooking your burger.  The short of the process is this.  I fry the egg with parmesan cheese and pepper (no salt, all of the saucy ingredients, condiments and cheese are salted).  Toast the bun with a bit of butter in one if the skillets. Then cook the burger with the teriyaki and worcestershire sauces.  

To prepare the components for assembly, I top the fried egg with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and a few dots of butter, I also top the burger with a slice of cheese and a few dot of butter and under the broiler it goes for approximately 2 mins or until it's melty and golden.  After that I assemble the burger on the skillet toasted bun with my fave condiments (listed above) and In-Joy.

Word to the wise:  I let my burger sit a moment while I clean my skillets, Its much easier to clean the cast iron skillets when they are hot, and it builds the anticipation for the deliciousness I'm bouta in-joy!

Let me know if you give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment